October 3, 2017
Attention: All Employees of Standard Scaffolding
Re: Your Union – Your Choice
As many of you know, there has been some union organizing activity at Standard Scaffolding worksites. A group of concerned employees have reached out to Canada West Construction Union to ensure that all options for employees are being explored.
As an employee group, not only do you have the right to decide IF you will be unionized; you also have the right to decide WHICH union will represent you.
And this is a very important choice. There are unions that insist on a one-size-fits-all model…there are unions that have:
- Hiring hall lists who control when and where people work…and will punish you if you try to work anywhere else.
- Extremely costly and complicated pension and health & welfare plans – Plans that don’t give workers better benefits….they just cost more.
- Negotiate with their own needs in mind, regardless of what this may do to a company.
There are also unions that take employee advocacy very seriously AND will work with the employees and the employer to ensure that everyone can share in the company’s continued success.
Canada West Construction Union is committed to this model. We support employees by:
- Negotiating competitive rates that strike a balance of good pay and an employer’s ability to land work and give workers long term employment.
- Providing great health & welfare and retirement savings programs that are competitively priced.
- Charging Union dues that keep more money in your pocket.
Support Canada West Construction Union in their bid to represent the employees of Standard by signing a membership card. By law we must charge a small initiation fee of $3 (we wish we didn’t). But this may just be the small cost associated with supporting a model that won’t take you backwards but will actually add value to your work life and keep you gainfully employed for the long term.
Canada West Construction Union